steorra: Jupiter's moon Europa (europa)
[personal profile] steorra posting in [community profile] astronomy
There's a recently-discovered comet that could put on a spectacular show in late 2013 - at its brightest (when it's hard to see because it's really close to the sun), it could be brighter than the full moon, and visible in daytime.

However, predicting comet brightness is notoriously difficult, and this one could end up being nothing spectacular; Comet Kohoutek (C/1973 E1) in 1973 is a famous case of something that was predicted to be brilliant but didn't live up to prediction.

Bill Gray, whom Emily Lakdawalla consulted on the matter, estimates that it has a 30% chance of being awesome, and a 60% chance of being a dud. (And what about that other 10%? He doesn't say.)
From:
Anonymous( )Anonymous This account has disabled anonymous posting.
OpenID( )OpenID You can comment on this post while signed in with an account from many other sites, once you have confirmed your email address. Sign in using OpenID.
User
Account name:
Password:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
Subject:
HTML doesn't work in the subject.

Message:

 
Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of everyone who comments.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.

Profile

Astronomy

April 2017

S M T W T F S
      1
2345 6 78
9101112131415
16171819202122
2324252627 2829
30      

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 21st, 2017 11:13 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios